Sunday, August 17, 2014

2014 – 08 – 06: Day 15 Road Trip Across the USA - Route 66 - From Shamrock TX to Santa Rosa NM

From Shamrock Inn, Shamrock TX 
To Santa Rosa State Park
Distance traveled:  
272 Interstate miles  
+  unknown miles for route 66 byways

I was up early and got some more work done on photo editing.  Then it was time to pack and get on the road. 

the leaning water tower 
The route 66 signs got me to the various off the interstate sections of the old route still drivable.  Mostly they were exits, see the remnants of the historic buildings or even just a “ghost” town and then return to the interstate.  
...and the pavement ends



Often the road was closed with a barricade, or sometimes it just faded into a dirt road making it clear that this was not the optimum way to go.  







In this manner I saw the towns of McLean, Groom where I saw the leaning water tower  (http://www.weirdus.com/states/texas/roadside_oddities/britten_leaning_water_tower/)
Conway and Glenrio.


Antique shops on the Route 66 strip
In Amarillo I stopped at the tourist information centre (the first once I have seen since crossing into Texas).   I got a wonderful map for the city and the helpful clerk showed me which exit to use to get to the historic section.  Most of the old historic buildings now house expensive antique stores, but there were some whimsical signs and the one restaurant especially showed great nostalgic appeal.









Miles and miles of barbed wire fencing 
The road west continued through wide open plains and as I passed the “fenced in” ranches I reflected on the story of “barbed wire” and how it changed the west.  Imagine driving herds of cattle across this open expanse of country from grazing lands to market.  I am hurtling along at 75 MPH on the interstate.   It must have been one amazing journey herding those cattle along riding horse from morning till night.  How far do you think they traveled in a day?   Here I am complaining when at the end of the day I have only covered 250 miles.  I imagine that distance would have taken 10 or maybe even more days following the herd!

entering motel strip on route 66  in Tucumcari
After a few more side trips to see historic relics I arrived at Tucumcari.  The road sign leading up to the town made it clear that it was a “hotel” town.  That role has not changed from the days when route 66 was a road to the west.  Then as now, the town offers a place to sleep before traveling on.


diving into the blue waters of the "Blue Deep"
Continuing on I arrived in Santa Fe and followed the helpful signs to the “Blue Deep”.   This amazing natural deep pool is a local hangout / swimming / diving hole.  I enjoyed watching adults and children alike jumping into the clear blue waters.   It is apparently 80 feet deep and people go scuba diving here! 

a view of the dam that creates the lake at Santa Rosa Park



From here I had only a short drive to Santa Maria State Park.  It is located on a lake created once again by the dam across the river.   This camp ground offered little in the way to shade as the desert vegetation tends to be short and scrawny.  And yet there was an amazing variety of wild flowers and various cacti. 

Also an abundance of flying bugs of all sizes made for a challenging evening.  I think the bugs bug me way more than the heat of the region.  The heat is offset by the constant breezes, the bugs are just annoying.  Even a liberal application of bug spray did not deter the most persistent of the beasts.  Finally to get some relief I ended up getting inside my screened in cozy sleeping pad with my book and read and enjoyed the sunset sheltered from the annoying flying nuisances.   The moon was a glowing display in the deeping shades of the night sky hues and as darkness fell there was a bright glow making me keenly aware that the full moon is now only days away. 

It was with whisper of the breeze and the glow of the moon that were my final waking sensations before sleep took over.

Renate Dundys Marrello 

2014 – 08 – 06

Picture link:




No comments:

Post a Comment