Sunday, August 10, 2014

2014 – 08 – 01: Day 10 Road Trip Across the USA - Route 66 - From Lou Mitchel's in Chicago to Carlinville IL

From Lou Mitchel’s on Jackson Ave Chicago IL 
to Carlin Villa Motel in Carlinville IL

Distance traveled:  
estimate 250 Interstate miles 
+ unknown miles for scenic route 66 byways

Traveling on route 66 has been on my bucket list for quite some time.  It is a chance to explore small town America and reminisce about the early days of car travel and experiencing the freedom of the road.   The Route 66 song has long been a favorite of mine and in part inspired this section of my trip.   

The hardest part will be to find and follow the old sections all depending on how well things are marked.  In Illinois the signs are quite prominent brown and white.   Today I found them fairly easy to follow.  

Starting at Lou Mitchell's for a breakfast to go and then through Cicero to Joliet for a walk about town. Then a stop at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery to honour the fallen soldiers. 

Dwight Illinois 
 I enjoyed my drive and my stops in various towns, Wilmington, Braidwood, Gardener, Dwight, and Pontiac.  Each one unique and different in their own special way. Some make a big deal about being on the old route 66 and have information and walking tours to see the town sites.  Others are like forgotten places that just happen to be along the route. 










Chenoa celebrates the road with a park setting 
Chenoa celebrates that old road by creating a roadside park that includes some of the old pavement.  

Forgotten places like Funks Grove that leave one memorable historic collage. 






Paul Bunyon in Atlanta IL
Atlanta offers up a mural and Bunyon statue.  And everywhere there are signs and memorabilia just waiting to be found. 

As much as I enjoy the stops I enjoy the drive on roads that don’t expect you to go Interstate speeds.  It allows for time to look around and see and stop here and there to take a photo.




Of course the day to day necessities like gas still crop up and for these I have to look for the bigger towns especially if I hope to find a Sam’s Club.  

I had my heart set on staying at the historic Carlin Villa Motel in Carlinville and I am pleased to say that it was a quaint place and just perfect for a rest after many hours on the road.

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2014 – 08 – 01 

Photo Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment