Friday, August 8, 2014

2014 – 07 – 30: Day 8 - Road Trip Across the USA - Exploring Lake Michigan Lighthouses

This morning the bird song was louder than the waves crashing and it was the cheerful chirpy sounds that woke me up and greeted me today.  The day was grey and misty with the fog lingering into the tops of the trees.  I took my time with morning preparations and even spent some time making sure my travel notes were up to date before heading on the road.

My first destination was Spring Lake where I stopped at Mill Point Park for a view of the Grand River.  The sun was now shining and the fog was abated and I had hopes that today would be a clearer day. 
I made a stop at a nearby McD’s for wifi but service it was so slow that all I managed to do was read my emails and send of a few replies. 

Grand Haven Lighthouse
Next I drove to Grand Haven State Park for a walk to see the Grand Haven Lighthouse.  The closer I got to the Lake the more dense the fog became.  

Walking to the lighthouse was done in fog and taking pictures an exercise of composition to utilize the fog as part of the theme. 

My next expected stop was at Rosy Mound natural Area for a hike to the water front. However there was a parking fee and I figured a walk to see fog was not in my opinion worth it.  At Kirk Park I stopped for lunch but again did not hike to the coast.  In Sheldon I stopped at Know Park where I walked to the waterfront, and you will see in the pictures just how foggy the scene that greeted me was.

Diving fun!
Another fog bound stop at Holland State Park and a walk along the pier to see the Big Red Lighthouse hazy across the channel.  I had some fun watching some teens jumping and diving off the pier!   

Now it was time to circle around Macatawa Bay to get really close to Big Red but I stopped along the way at Kollen Park and a stroll along the Heinz Waterfront Walkway.  This park is further inland and the sun was shining but the fog was drifting up the river and filling the bay with wisps of haze drifting in and out and making visibility a thing of chance.

My next stop was at Macatawa Park, which is actually a residential community.  It is a gated community and the gate keeper directed me to the special parking area for lighthouse explorers and told me that it was a ½ mile walk to the actual lighthouse.  It was a very interesting walk leading through newer homes and then older cottages and then some homes that look like they are restored / remodeled lighthouse keeper abodes.  

Big Red
The final stretch is through dune landscape and always the ever present fog.  I tried to taste the fog laced air sticking my tongue out and feeling the moisture on my face.  I inhaled deeply and imagined the strands of fog entering my lungs.  Is that the marine life of the lake that I taste?  Well on a foggy day you have to go with the flow! 

In the town of Saugatuck I stopped to see the Chain Ferry crossing the Narrow portion of Kalamazoo Lake, and in Fennville I did a quick walk to see another foggy coastline in West Side County Park.  Then I headed to South Haven North Beach and a walk to see the South Haven Lighthouse across the mouth of the Black River. Once again, no surprise, there was another foggy view.  

It was now just a short drive south of South Haven to Van Buren State Park and another campsite for the evening.  The camp sites are a ways back from the lake and the sky appears clear here as I sit by my picnic table and write up my notes. 
Watching the setting sun over Lake Michigan
As the sun set I made one last walk to the waterfront and saw…..clear skies!!  The sun set into a bank of clouds still fairly high on the western horizon, but at least the fog had lifted and finally I got to see some blue sky over Lake Michigan.

Now I am settled in for the night in my cozy car bedroom and listening to the night noises.  I will have to check the map, but I hear road noises so this park must be close to a major thoroughfare.   Time to edit some photos and then get some shut eye.

2014 – 07 – 30 
Renate Dundys Marrello 

Pictures link

No comments:

Post a Comment