Tuesday, August 5, 2014

2014 – 07 – 24: Day 2 - Road Trip Across the USA - Crossing Michigan from Port Huron to Cadillac

What a great sleep I had!  I woke up briefly just as daylight was breaking, but fell back asleep.  I actually slept in until 7!  I missed the crescent moon in conjunction with Venus.  It would have been a pretty sight rising over Lake Huron!

Anyways, I needed the sleep and actually felt refreshed as I went about morning campsite activities, shower and breakfast and notes.  I took the time to go down to the beach for one more look at Lake Huron in the morning light.

By the time I was packed up and on the road it was almost 10, a full hour later than my usual on the road time.  Instead of taking the back roads I took the interstate to Frankenmuth.  This town is known as the Bavarian town of Michigan.  I was there by 11:30 just a bit later than originally planned.  I found the wooden covered bridge quickly enough and the ample tourist parking made it easy to find a parking space!   

Now just a little bit of walking around and I found the location of the Paddle Wheel River Cruise.  I did some window shopping while waiting for boarding time and then it was time to sit back and relax and enjoy the cruise on the Cass River.   

The commentary was very informative and the views were delightful.  I tried to capture the “Bavarian feeling” of the scenes that unfolded along the way.

After the river cruise I found the Old Mill and there I took a walk along the brick path beside the river.  It was a pleasant and scenic walk. 

Now it was time to start the drive toward Traverse City.  I took Hwy 10 to Midland MI where I stopped for a coffee break at McD’s and read my emails.  Then I drove to Sanford where I stopped at the town Park to see the Tittawassee River and the Dam that created the lake.   It was quite a pretty place to stop for a short walk about.


Now it was time for the next leg of the drive.  By 5 pm I had arrived at William Mitchel State Park near Cadillac MI.  I remembered staying here a couple of years ago and decided this was the place to stop for the night.  There is a lovely view of the sunset on the lake to be had from my camp site.  Just a short walk across the street and you are at the beach for an even better view of the lake and the setting sun.  

So guess what I did in the evening?  You guessed right if you said I enjoyed the beauty of a glorious sunset! 

As the sky got darker it was time to settle in for the night, my bed is comfy cozy and I am tuckered out and ready to relax, and sleep. 

2014 – 07 – 24 
Renate Dundys Marrello 

photo link: 

No comments:

Post a Comment