Saturday, August 9, 2014

2014 – 07 – 31: Day 9 - Road Trip Across the USA - end of Lake Michigan Lighthouses to Chicago

I awoke to the sound of traffic in the distance, what a change from birdsong and crashing waves.  

Lake Michigan in the sunshine
Today is the last leg of my Lake Michigan Lighthouse exploration and I am pleased to report that for once the day started with clear skies.

As I left the park, driving south on A-2, a road which follows the coast, I made a few roadside stops at community parks to walk to the beach for a view.  How different Lake Michigan looks when not shrouded in fog!

St. Joseph Pier Lightghouse  



In St Joseph I stopped at Tiscornia Park to walk to see the Saint Joseph River and the Saint Joseph Pier Lighthouse. 

Then I ate my lunch on the beach and enjoyed the sunshine.  Since I only used my day pass parking for 1.5 hours, I gave it to the next couple that drove into the park.  I feel it is such a waste to pay for a full day (that is all they allow you to buy at the machine) when you are only staying for a short while.

Here is where my Lake Michigan Lighthouse tour ends. 

I stopped at McDonalds to make final arrangements with my Couch Surfing Host Bob for where to meet and then did the drive into the Windy City.   The drive went smooth, but why do I always forget about how many tolls there are getting around this stretch of the highway?   I totaled up to $7.70 to get into Chicago!

I found parking on ML King Drive where Bob lives without any problem!  It is surprising to see free parking so close to downtown Chicago.  I was about 1 hour early for our appointed meeting time to I prepared my overnight bag and then sat in the courtyard in front of his building reading and enjoying the sunshine until he got home from work.   

Amazing view from Bob's apartment 
Because Bob and I have be chatting so much via email to arrange this met up, it was like meeting an old friend.  We shared stories of our various hosting experiences and I told stories of my travels and surfing experiences.  





Then we drove to the “Mealsharing” that Bob arranged for us to participate in tonight.  The theme was “Puffs and Perogies” severed with wine.  
Our Mealsharing host serves "puffs" with an assortment of jams 
With our Mealsharing host and 3 other ladies, there were 6 of us at the table.   I loved participating in a memorable evening of conversation and storytelling!  Awesome!   I have now registered with the “mealsharing” program.  What a wonderful new concept!  I look forward to hosting a "mealsharing" event when I get home!

By the time the meal and conversation was over it was 10pm.  By the time we got back to Bob’s house, it was time for a short night’s sleep,  5:30 am comes quickly.  

2014 – 07 – 31 
Renate Dundys Marrello 

Photo link:

No comments:

Post a Comment