Friday, August 8, 2014

2014 – 07 – 29: Day 7 - Road Trip Across the USA - Exploring Lake Michigan Lighthouses

I awoke snug and cocooned in my two sleeping bags!  The sound of the waves crashing on the shore was softer and when I looked at the safety flags, they had been changed from Red (danger) to Yellow (caution).  

Mornings at my camp site is now down to a routine of breakfast and time to write my journal notes and packing up for a day on the road.

I realized that I have to make some changes to today’s plans because #1: I need to get gas for the car and #2: I have a deadline to be at Pere Marquette Park for 3PM to meet a friend. 

Chester Park sidewalk to the end of the pier 
I drove around Pentwater Lake and had some lovely views to the town and the harbour.  Then I stopped at Chester Street  Park and took a walk along the Pentwater River on the Park sidewalk all the way out to the end of the pier and a lovely view to the Pentwater Pier Lighthouse.

Then I took the route of least resistance (via GPS) to Muskegon and Sam’s Club for fuel.  When the tank got really low I stopped and put in a couple of dollars to get me to my destination.  It was good that I did,  I might not have made it!   

After getting the gas, I stepped inside Sam’s for a couple of groceries and then went to a nearby McD’s to catch up on emails, upload some pictures and confirm with Mary Bowman that I would indeed be meeting her at 3pm.

Then I made my way to Pere Marquette Park and was surprised how foggy it was by the waterfront!  Inland by the shops it was a bright sunny day; here it was so misty visibility was only about 150 feet.   Marilyn and I meet on the pier walkway out to the Muskegon South Pier head Lighthouse.  It was wonderful meeting another friend from my FB acquaintances!   

We went for a meal at a restaurant on the beach with a wonderful view to the water.  If it weren't so foggy we would have been able to see the lighthouse from our table. 

I enjoyed some spicy fries, watermelon slices and coffee.  Marilyn and I chatted on and on getting to know each other better, it was marvelous!  

Gradually over the afternoon the mist cleared and as we asked our server to take out picture the northern pier head light was actually visible!   Of course time just flies when you are having a great time and all too soon it was 6 pm and time for goodbyes. 

the Channel that runs from Mona Lake to Lake Michigan 
I looked at my itinerary notes and realized I did not have all that far to go.  After a quick stop at Lake Harbour Park for a view of the channel that connects Mona Lake with Lake Michigan and then just a short drive and I was at Hoffmaster State Park.  

I was checked in and had my camp site set up by 7 pm and then I walked down to the nearby beach to sit and relax.  



Gray skies over Lake Michigan 
I was hoping to watch a sunset, but the mist was thick again and then a cool breeze came in and it became uncomfortable cold to sit by the water, so after finishing a couple of chapters in my book I made my way back to camp to enjoy dinner and then headed into my cozy bed to edit some pictures before lights out.   Another chilly night with double sleeping bags….is it really July?   This weather feels more like September!

2014 – 07 – 29
Renate Dundys Marrello 

Picture link: 

No comments:

Post a Comment