Thursday, July 23, 2015

2015 – 07 – 02: Day 18 Scenic Destinations - from Petrified Forest to more Badlands

From Theodor Roosevelt National Park South 
To Miles City Montana: 

Total distance:   138 miles  

An amazing full moon woke me up.  It must be about 2 am and the bright light was once again coming into the car   I lay there watching it for a good while before falling asleep again.

Medora Scenic Overlook 
Then the morning arrived sunny and bright.  I packed up camp and then headed back on the road through the park to the exit.  

I stopped at the Medora Scenic Overlook before making my way down into the town.

Medora - Packing House Ruins 



I found a charming little breakfast stop in Medora where I picked up a coffee to go.  After circling around the town I stopped in the Meat Packing Historical Ruins Park and enjoyed the history
Medora - Little Missouri under the bridge view 
of the ruins 


and also a short walk down to the Little Missouri River’s edge.








Red dirt Road to the Petrified Forest Trail 



From there it was only a short drive along the interstate to the red dirt road to the Petrified Forest Trail.  The well maintained road leads to a nice parking lot and from there it is a 1.5 mile walk to the Petrified Forest location and then 1.5 back out again. 

on the hiking trail to the Petrified Forest 
There are two sites to choose from, I choose the north site simply because on the map it looked like the bigger one.  It was a very lovely hike though meadows and down into a valley to get there.  




just one of the many examples of petrified wood 



I enjoyed the scenery and taking photos.  

I was glad that I planned ahead and took lots of water with me as the air is hot and dry. I was surprised to pass others on the way in as I was returning to the car with no water bottles in sight





Leaving the Petrified Forest site; I drove on I-94 west toward Glendive and crossed the border into Montana at the town of Beach.
Makoshika State Park Scenic Drive 
In Glendive I went to Makoshika State Park.  Here I drove the scenic route through the park, 






Natural Arch Bridge 
and took a hike on the Cap Rock Trail.  Aside from the general splendor of the scenery the natural arch bridge was a highlight.  








The steep steps cut into the rock were and interesting change of pace from other trails I have been on.    












Valley Look Trail 
Then I explored the Valley loop trail.  This driving trail was literally only 1 car wide and just dirt, or mud with no guard rails.  Sometimes there was only a thin strip of grass between me and the drop off into the valley below.  But the views, on my, they were awesome. 

perfect sunset to end a perfect day 

After leaving the park I followed the Yellow stone River which I occasionally glimpsed in the distance to Miles City.  I spent some time at the local McDonald's to do some catching up.  And then settled in for the night after watching the sun set a perfect red globe in the west.

Renate Dundys Marrello 


Today's route map - I took the blue route 

Your feedback and comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment