Wednesday, July 15, 2015

2015 – 07 – 01: Day 17 - Scenic Destinations - from North to South in Theodore Roosevelt National Park

From Theodor Roosevelt National Park North
To Theodor Roosevelt National Park South
Total distance:   56 miles to get there  and then in the park scenic scenic trail 36 miles

It sprinkled during the night and I had to close the car windows but certainly we never got a storm….which is a good thing!

Can you spot the pheasant? 
With a banana for breakfast I was on my way.  Leaving the camp ground I spotted a deer and her fawn.  A bit further down the road I saw a pheasant at the side of the road.

I am always fascinated by neglected ruins 
I am back on hwy 85 this time going south, and just as my friendly park entrance lady told me, 20 miles south in Green Butte there was a gas station. 

I spent some time at the “business centre” connected to the internet to catch up on correspondence.  Then back on the road again.

view from the moving car




The drive south on Hwy 85 and then west on I 94 toward Medora and the south park entrance went smooth.





View to Painted Canyon 


I stopped at the Painted Canyon Visitor Center. 
Here I went for a stroll along the paved path overlook for a lovely view to the canyon below.





good trail markings
Then I found the trail head for the hike into the canyon.  I stated that it was a 1 mile loop so I followed the signs and trail markers for a brilliant hike.  Such amazing views.











From the Painted Canyon stop it was just a short drive to Medora and the park entrance.  Here I stopped to see the displays and get a ticket for the full moon walk.  I also waked out to see the original Theodore Roosevelt cabin, the Maltese Cross Ranch House. 

Next I started the scenic drive through the park and enjoyd an scenic overlook. When I arrived at the campgrounds I secured a camp site at the Cotton woods campground.

With that taken care of, I continued the drive on the 36 mile scenic loop road.  I stopped at the various overlooks and did a ridge hike.  Such unique beautiful scenes everywhere I look. 

Wild horses at the side of the road 
Today is my day for wild life.  I saw some wild horses at the side of the road.  









Bison traffic jam 


Then a small herd of bison crossing the road and holding up traffic.  Later on I spotted here and there more single or pairs of bison.




Fantastic wind carving


I stopped for another hike so see the Wind Canyon, where not only were the rock ridges carved into fantastic shapes by the wind, but also, there were spectacular views to the Little Missouri River below.







cute prairie dog poses for me 


My next stop was at the Prairie Dog Village where I sat and watched the antics of the prairie dogs. How cute!








Now the loop was complete and I headed back to my camp site.  I was prepared to get ready for the evening guided moon light hike when it started to rain.  So instead of going for another drive, I quickly set up the mosquito net and hunkered down to wait out the storm. 

The skies remained dark. Then the lightening and thunder started.   No full moon hike today!


Instead I did some reading and some photo editing and saw a haze of red in the west as the sun set.  I wonder if there will be a clear patch for the moon later tonight like last night? 

Renate Dundys Marrello 

See more Photos: 


Today's route map 

My Face book Reflections Page

Your comments and feedback are always welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment