Saturday, July 4, 2015

2015 - 06 - 26: Day 12 of Scenic Destinations - sixth day on the wagon train

I awoke to the realization that today is the last full day on the wagon train.  This wonderful experience is drawing toward the end.  The routine has become familiar and it is easy to see how months of traveling in this fashion would revolve around the daily flow of activities of survival. 

After packing up my gear I had some time to sketch the barn that we could see from our camp site.

view to the slough
The morning passed as usual.  I once again walked after the biffy break and the road lead alongside of a beautiful body of water.  I was told that in these parts they call this a “slough” in recognition of the fact that no rivers flow into or out of them.  

Today I almost walked all the way to the selected lunch spot which was on a lovely mown grass area right next door to someone’s home.  I was very thankful for the shade trees and it was delightful to spread out my picnic blanket under these tall and stately cottonwood trees.

Today’s lunch:  Chicken Salad sandwiches with tomato, lettuce,  with some celery and carrot sticks.
After lunch I finished the “pillow case”.  Each wagon received a pillow slip and we were encouraged to create art to commemorate the trip.   Our wagon family decided that our theme was “where we came from”.    I added my “from Canada”  and then Fran added her “from Washington”  and we were complete.

Our lunch stop today also included the auction.   First the pillow slips were auctioned off.  The were sold from $30.00 all the way up to $200.00 each.  After this there was an apron and a calendar auctioned off and this led up to the big event, the auction for the annual quilt.  Quilting squares have been handed out to all of us to create art pieces which we return to the Wagon Train Team.  They assemble this into a quilt and this is given to the person with the highest bid.  This year’s quilt was sold for $2000.00.   I have already been mulling over what I will do with my piece of the project and have some interesting ideas in mind.

abandoned piece of history 
The final stretch in the afternoon I rode up front with Duane.  It is interesting to note how different the view is from the front of the wagon as opposed to inside.  Today Whitey and Ike were a calm team and there was not excitement along the ride.  I learned from Duane that hoofs wear down on a trail like this where lots of the surfaces were gravel roads.  The team will need a few weeks of grass pasture time to allow their hooves to grow.  They grow at approximately the same rate as out nails. 

the sheriffs clear traffic for us 
There were lots of spectators along the final stretch of the road and we even had sheriffs monitoring traffic as we got closer to the town.  

Getting off the wagon for the last time 
We circled the wagons at the fairgrounds at the edge of Carrington. 

After setting up my tent I headed to the chuck wagon to present myself for dinner preparation duty.  My jobs included:  slicing potatoes, slicing the bread and stirring the scalloped potato mixture over the fire. 

Dinner:  Scalloped potatoes with ham,  sliced tomatoes, green beans, celery and carrot sticks, fudge brownies with milk.

After dinner there were skits and singing to be enjoyed by all.

As the sun gradually set in the west the air cooled off and it was time to head to my tent.  The moon was glorious in the clear sky. 


It was delightful to settle in for my evening routine, reading, a couple of Sudoku puzzles and as the last of the daylight faded from the sky, sleep.

Renate Dundys Marrello 




view from our camp site 
view of prairie grasses 

plan your own Wagon Train adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment