Monday, July 6, 2015

2015 - 06 - 28: Day 14 Scenic Destinations - westward bound


From Jamestown ND
To Dickinson ND
Distance traveled: 197 miles (+ some short side trips)

I thought I would sleep in after such a late night, but 6 am and I saw the light peaking in at the corners of the curtains and I was up.  I got some cereal from the breakfast bar, then worked some more on my journal notes and catching up my correspondence with Walter. 

Then at 9 it was time to pack the car, it all looks so neat and tidy and convenient!  

world largest buffalo 
My first stop was at the National Buffalo Museum.  I saw the white buffalo (White Cloud) out in the distance in the pasture.  None of the other buffalo were visible.  I walked the road of historical buildings to the “biggest buffalo statue”.  There was a lovely view from the hill top looking out over Jamestown.

I wandered through the antique and novelty store and found a “buffalo” totem on a lovely rock.  I think I will try to collect all the animal totems and put them into my “medicine wheel” collection.

Next on my itinerary was the drive to Bismarck ND, where I stopped at Sam’s for gas, groceries and lunch (polish sausage). Then I explored a section of Missouri River water front.  

I arrived at the Louis and Clark River Boat cruise with plenty of time to purchase a ticket.  I even had time for a couple of Sudoku puzzles. 

Missouri River seen from the deck of the tour boat
Boarding for the cruise started at 2:45 and by 3 we were underway.  The sun is hidden behind a thick veil of clouds and the breeze is cool.  The Missouri is a shallow river with shifting sandbanks.  There are places along the water front where it looks like sandy beaches and this is where small groups of people cluster to swim in the river.  There is a great deal of pleasure craft traffic on the river, from seadoos to larger flat bottom vessels.  All in all it was a very pleasant river excursion.

Getting off the boat I checked the time, 4 pm and so lots of time to head just a little further west.  I looked at the GPS for nearby attractions and found a scenic turnout just across the river in Mandan.  Then I noticed a sign for Crown Butte Dam and I took a little side trip to see the Crown Butte lake.

Salem Sue
From there I continued west on I-94 to New Salem where I stopped to see Salem Susie, the world largest milk cow statue!   It was a lovely short drive up a hill and then a short climb to the top for a spectacular view to  the  countryside all around.

historic Richardton 
From there I drove through the Mountain Time zone line about 10 miles before Richardton and then on to Dickinson where I settled in for some time at McDonalds for wifi time and a table to do some writing.

The moon is a lovely sight in the sky as I drove to my camping spot for the night.

Renate Dundys Marrello 


Map of the day's travel 




No comments:

Post a Comment