Friday, July 3, 2015

2015 - 06 - 23: Day 9 of Scenic Destinations - third day on the wagon train


the gear lined up and ready to use
The light of pre-dawn wakes me up and I feel refreshed after a good sleep.  The sounds of the early rising staff are carried clearly on the quiet morning breezes.  I imagine that those on “breakfast duty” are also busy at work.  I pack my gear and take down my tent.  This morning it is wet from the dew.  So I suppose each day I will be packing a wet tent.



I watch the breakfast crew cooking


mmmm coffee







As I walk toward the food preparation area I see the coffee station!   Heavenly to have a warm cup of coffee, just too bad there is no milk!  

Soon the servers are called and once again we line up and walk down the line of kneeling servers to get our breakfast.  Today’s menu:  Oatmeal with prunes, eggs and bacon, bread with fresh made jam.

While the breakfast clean-up crew is busy with their chores I have time to do another sketch this time of the nearby slough.  Then it is time to bring the baggage to the baggage truck and soon the call comes to get to our wagons.  The horses are hitched and “wagons ho”

here the team is pulling in unison 
Today Whitey decided to be ornery!  Several times he fought against Duane and tried to go to the left when he needed to go forward.  Once even he reared up and got a foot caught on the cross bar.  It took 4 of the horse handlers to get him untangled.  Duane had to work hard all day keeping Whitey under control.  He thinks it may be the sounds of the children laughing and shouting that has Whitey confused.  We have to keep special attention on the people getting on and off of our wagon because of the sudden stops and jerks. 

At the 10 am Biffy break there was a camera crew their taking pictures for a local newspaper.  I decided to walk ahead while the line of adventurers were slowing taking their turns at the Biffy.  By walking ahead I get to walk for about 1 hour until my wagon catches up with me.

Noon break today was in pristine, uncultivated prairie grasses.  It was really interesting to see all the variety of plants.  Lunch was once again buffet style serve yourself sandwiches and today’s fruit was grapes. I had time for another sketch of the prairie and we had a member of the crew give us an interesting lecture on “pioneer medicine”.

Oh no - run away wagon 
More trail time in the afternoon, another biffy break and then we had a serious mishap.  One of the wagons had a rein break and the horses took off leaving the roadway and ending up in the field.  In the process of trying to keep his wagon and riders safe the teamster was injured.  He was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  With a replacement rein and a new teamster the wagon train got underway again with more somber tone.  We were all left speculating as to the nature of the teamster’s injuries and confronted just how easily an accident can happen. 

beautiful river view 
It was after 5 when we pulled into our camp site for the evening.  Tonight we are beside a river and the children are overjoyed at the prospect of swimming.  After setting up my tent (which is going much faster now) I reported for my KP duty – fire builder.  

I was glad that I had packed some work gloves as I set to work helping to dig 3 cooking pits plus one coffee pit.  Each cooking pit is 4 feet long by 3 feet wide.  First you cut out the sod and lay that aside.  Then you dig down until the pit is approximately 6 inches deep.  Next job is to get and stack enough fire wood for all four fires.  Then you carry all the metal bars and grills and wind breaks to each pit and help to set up the cooking surfaces.  Once the logs are stacked into the pit, “chief firebuilder” (one of the staff) douses each pit with gasoline and starts the fires.   And our job is done. 

While dinner is being prepared I enjoy watching the children in the river and relax for a while with some knitting. 

Tonight dinner is chili, coleslaw, celery and carrot sticks and bread and butter.  There is even cake for dessert which goes really well with a glass of milk. 

I was once again quite happy to retire to my tent after dinner for some quiet time with my book.  As much as I love socializing all day, I love my alone and quiet time in the evening.  I love being able to watch the sun going down from the comfort of my tent.  It is pleasant at night as the temperature cools right down making sleep very comfortable.

Renate Dundys Marrello 



Morning view over the slough 


plan your own Wagon Train adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment