Thursday, September 18, 2014

2014 – 08 – 18: Day 27 - Road Trip Across the USA – route 66 side trip – Las Vegas to Red Rock Canyon

From Henderson Nevada
To Red Rock Canyon
And return to Henderson
Distance traveled: 33 miles + 13 mile scenic trail

Today I explored the Red Rock Canyon.  I was up and out early wanting to once again start the day in the remaining 
coolness of the night.  By 8 am I was well on my way across the city of Las Vegas to the west side and then up into the hills.

On the Way to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area 
I love driving the winding roads that lead into the hills and this drive was no exception, beautiful.  I got a kick out of the sign saying “do not feed wild horses and burros”. 

display at the Visitor Centre


Once at Red Rock Canyon I spent a long time at the visitor centre learning more about the vegetation and wildlife that can survive in the harsh environment.  At the end of a walk way out into the desert there also was an amazing panoramic view of the canyon!

Then I was off on the 13 mile loop drive around the perimeter of the canyon.  As usual I was following the park speed signs and was amazed at how many people felt the need to pass me.   Such a beautiful scenic drive and it is only 13 miles long!   I long to ask these people, ‘why the hurry?’   There is so much beauty to experience and you are just rushing to the end point of your journey. 

A desert wash brings a stripe of vibrant greenery to the desert 
I drove along savoring each new scene and stopped at every overlook.  It was a delight!  What amazing scenery!  I was immersed in feeling the connection with the desert, appreciating the life giving aspect of the washes and learning about “Tinajas”.  
Animals depend on these Tinajas for drinking water 




Life in the desert revolves around water.  Where there is this precious commodity, water, there is life!   It is a lesson people sometimes fail to appreciate in the face of technology that brings fresh water to the taps in our homes.  

We have lost the intimate connection with this vital life sustaining substance.  We take it for granted and abuse this precious liquid.  What will it take for us to really face the consequences of our choices?  In the desert, there is not forgiveness for a lack of respect towards water.  Vegetation and creatures live and reproduce and die by the available water level at any given time.  Their connection to water is very real and fundamental. 

WASH - A narrow, constricting dry bed of an intermittent stream, as at the bottom of a canyon, typically dry but subject to rapid flow during flash flooding.

Tinajas – A natural depression in the rock that usually holds water in a desert or dry area.

Spring – A spring is the result of an aquifer being filled to the point that the water overflows onto the land surface.

huge chunks of quarried sandstone 
I enjoyed the historic stop at the Sandstone Quarry Overlook.  Amazing huge chunks of sandstone were mined here.  












Wind on High Point Overview 




At High Point Overview I was exposed to the full force of the winds that blow constantly across the desert contributing to the dry and arid air.  





Well marked trail at the beginning.....
Along the way I also did some hiking.  The first one was Willow Springs trail, a 1.5 mile round trip.   At first the trail was very clear, marked with well-placed stones.  And then the markings disappeared.  I circled around a little looking for further markings but never found them.  So I turned around and returned to the car.  Ever present in my mind the disaster of getting turned around and lost in such wild and inhospitable landscape.  Even with 3 bottle of water in my back pack I felt the helplessness that one must face in such an environment.


the spring along Lost Creek Trail 





At the next trail, the Lost Creek Canyon trail, I had much greater success at following the well placed markers.  I found the spring and enjoyed the burst of lush vegetation around it.  I was amazed at the cliff climbers I saw off in the distance!  





The heat of the day was starting to build but the ever present wind was still able to keep me from feeling the effects as strongly as would have been the case without the breeze. 

Mystery desert bird
Near the end of the trail I was greeting with by a multitude of singing birds.  Tiny things that flitted from bush to bush, I have no idea what kind of bird they are, maybe a birder reading my blog will give me the answer!?





It was almost 12 noon when I started my final hike on Pine Creek Trail.  I had hopes of reaching the homestead (a three mile round trip) but also realized that it might be further than I was prepared for, considering that I am a novice at desert hiking. 

Ponderosa Pines growing on Pine Creek Trail 
I decided that when I finished one bottle of water regardless of how far I had gone I would turn around and start the return trip.  That is what I did.  I did not reach the remains of the homestead, but I did enjoy the experience and got to see the Ponderosa pine trees that grow where there is an underground flowing creek to sustain them.  I arrived back at the car with my “safety bottle” untouched…and that is a good thing.  I am really learning to respect the desert; in one hour of hiking under the mid-day sun I finished two bottles of water.  This is not a place to be complacent or lose focus!

I finished the last stretch of the 13 mile drive with a stop at a picnic overlook that revealed the panorama of the whole canyon.  What a glorious place to eat my lunch and reflect on the amazing adventure this morning has been.


Information on Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area:
A map of red rock canyon trail drive:



It was mid-afternoon by the time I got back to my friend’s house.  We enjoyed a lovely swim in the pool and watched the glow of the setting sun on the mountain peaks in the distance. 
In the evening we enjoyed a last meal together as the morning would be hectic with me packing up for the next part of my adventure and my friends getting ready for work and appointments. What an incredible couple of days I have experienced here in Las Vegas Nevada.

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2014 – 08 – 18

Picture Link:


No comments:

Post a Comment