Sunday, March 15, 2015

2014 – 09 – 29: Day 6 – Fall Colours In Muskoka - Waterfalls and Lake views


Scenic driving distance  50.3km

I was up early to see the world shrouded in a thick curtain of fog.  I decided to enjoy a breakfast at McDonalds with some Wifi time to do some catching up on emails.

Bracebridge Falls in the fog and mist 

It was still foggy as I found and walk the down town historic water front trail to see the Bracebridge Falls.  It was a truly delightful walk in the hazy mist of fog combined with the mist from the falls.  The weather seems to discourage more people from this walk and I was all alone on the trail.

Historic Bracebridge 




Then I strolled through the historic town centre where there was now the bustle of mid-morning shoppers. Here I found and visited the information centre where I got a beautiful map of the nearby waterfalls.

Transcanada Trail to Wilson's Falls 




A short drive brought me to Wilshier Blvd where I found an access point to the TransCanada trail which brought me to upper side of Wilson Falls.  It was a lovely wild trail, quiet and apparently little used.  A nice length of the trail followed the river but the falls were hard to see from this angle.  I retraced my way back to the car as the morning fog finally cleared and the sun appeared warm and bright.  


Roadside stop on Wilson's Falls Road 




A short drive across the bridge and onto Wilson’s Falls Road for this scenic roadside stop to admire the fall colours.










Wilson's Falls as seen from the power station






Near the end of the road, I found the Power Station Dam and an amazing view to Wilson’s Falls.  The access to the trail to see the falls was rather obscure and I had to do quite a bit of scrambling through brush to find it.  However the resulting view was well worth the effort.

Bass Rock Park picnic stop 


Just a short distance down the road I stopped at the tiny Bass Rock Park.  There is barely parking for 2 cars here but the rocks by the side of the river provide a perfect picnic spot which I shared with several ducks who came to investigate if I had any offerings to share.  I relaxed here for quite a while taking in the beauty of the scene and reading my book.





High Falls 





Another short drive via Cedar Lane, brought me to High Falls.  This seems to be a popular spot and the fine weather had by now enticed several people to enjoy the day outdoors.  





Tranquil reflections in the tributary creek 




Several trails led past the falls and into the nearby wooded area with an enchantingly beautiful tributary creek trail to explore.






Sun through the trees at
Muskoka Beach Park 




The map was very handy for finding an alternate route toward Gravenhurst.  I followed Younge Street through Bracebridge to connect with route 118 which connects with route 17 also know as Muskoka Beach Road, for a scenic drive through country side and occasional glimpses of Lake Muskoka.









Gulls over Gull Lake 


I located the harbour where the steam ship docks and got information about the morning sailing time.
Then I walked about in down town Gravenhurst before settling in for a picnic dinner on Gull Lake Park.


As the sun set I made my way to the Travel Lodge and settled in for the night.  

Renate Dundys Marrello 

link to more pictures 
My Facebook Reflections Page 


No comments:

Post a Comment