Wednesday, February 25, 2015

2014 – 09 – 26: Day Three – Fall Colours In Muskoka - Parry Sound to Huntsville

From Parry Sound through Magnetawan and Burke’s Falls to Arrowhead Provincial Park, Huntsville

Scenic route driving distance:  127 KM

I awoke to pain in my hand from the yellow jacket sting with grey fog surrounding the campsite. I procrastinated getting up for a while before getting to it.  

I sure was glad that I showered last night as there was a noticeable chill in the air again this morning. 

It looked like it might start raining even though it was not in the forecast so I folded up the bug drape and put it away just in case.  I decided to leave the camp site without breakfast and have a McDonald's breakfast with wifi.  That is as good a place as any to wait for the fog to clear.  

I looked up “Yellow Jacket” stings on the internet, and found I did the right thing – combination of Ibuprofen and Benadryl.  They also recommended ICE.   Since I am camping I don’t have access to that, too bad….the burning itching feeling would most likely find that very soothing.   It looks like I am in for 3 to 4 days of discomfort before it heals.

By 10 the sky was clear and I started my day’s itinerary. 

First stop was in Parry Sound, Waubuno Beach, what a pretty place.  











I enjoyed a walk along the water front trail and even found a place to soak my stung hand in the cool waters.  It was such a relief!   I just enjoyed splashing in the water, with a childlike spontaneity.  



I scrambled over the rocks and had a grand old time!

I was so relaxed and happy I started singing a child hood rhyme “one two three alary found my ball in the cemetery”.  I have to look it up for the rest of it.  I know we played a ball game with that rhyme bouncing the ball off the wall and doing various stunts.  I would love to recall more details. (some information)


roadside stop along country road 124 


Finding country road 124 was easy and then it was this most amazing beautiful scenic drive all the way to Magnetawan.  






I stopped so many times to take pictures!   For example, this roadside stop to take pictures of what must be the home of an early settler in the area. 



Or this leaning abandoned barn that stands as a reminder of bygone days. 









That is one of the reasons that I love driving on the back roads…it is so much easier to stop when there is no traffic behind you.

fishing by Ahmic Lake 


I even found a lovely place to park beside Ahmic Lake to enjoy the spectacle of fall colours and this couple fishing from the comfort of the lawn chairs. 


Bridge across the white waters to the Lock 



The roads in Magnetawan are under construction but that did not stop me from seeing the historic church and the lock and of course the Magnetawan River.  






View to Magnetawan River
from Centennial Park 




I spotted a park that was on the bend in the river and there I ate my late lunch and enjoyed a quiet moment just taking in the autumn beauty.  

I also read a couple of chapters of my latest book  “Jazz funeral” it is a mystery set in New Orleans and has lots of musical references. 
After packing up my picnic items I went over to the playground and decided to swing….I went as high as I could and just enjoyed the moment, free, playing and making a memory.

Panorama of autumn shades. 


It was after 3 pm when I headed toward Burk’s Falls along Country Road 520.  Once again I made several scenic roadside stops.






Entering the town of Burk's Falls I found the water falls on the Magnetawan River almost immediately as it was right on the country road 520 leading into town.  The welcome centre offers beside the falls also have these interesting sculptures.






Bridge crossing the river with views to the falls. 





The river front trail starts at the visitor centre and crosses the falls via a quaint wooden bridge.  







White waters of the Magnetawan River 






From the bridge there is a lovely view of the churning waters of the Magnetawan River.   This used to be the site of a Hydro Electric generating plant. 



Riverfront Trail in Burk's Falls 











It was a very pleasant and scenic walk along the rivers edge and I found a lovely picnic table in the shade to sit and enjoy the view to the Magnetawan River and read some more of my book. 





Arrow Head Provincial Park Roadway to the campgrounds 





After walking back to the car, I drove south towards Huntsville and reached Arrowhead Provincial Park just as a lot of week end campers arrived.  I booked a camp site for two nights so that tomorrow will be a rest day.  I plan to just enjoying the beach on Arrow Lake.   I might go for a short scenic drive somewhere if I feel like it…or not.  I do need to go to a dollar store through for some cup of noodles, I used the last one tonight.

Setting up camp was quick and easy as it is now a familiar routine.   My hand is throbbing but I want to hold off on the next dose of Ibuprofen until bedtime so I can sleep.  Just took the antihistamine though and am hoping the swelling will start to go down soon.  It is hard not being able to move that finger when every moment hurts.  My touch typing is very funny right now as I try to compensate so I don’t use that finger.  It is the itching that is the worst part right now.  My whole hand itches!  I have been rubbing some cortisone cream on it as well as trying the after bit stuff.  Nothing works for very longs.


Sun starting to go down over Arrow Lake 
My camp site is in the trees and so I can only glimpse the sun setting through the trees.  It is a short 5 minute walk to Arrow Lake.  I saw the sun low on the trees and gleaming reflections on the water.

It is Friday night and so the camp ground is alive with the sounds of families camping.  The high pitched laughter of excited children echos through the trees and reminds me of family camping trips we used to take.  It brings back memories of our family enjoying the fun of camping together.  I miss those days, even the bickering and complaining!  I used to dream of experiencing the joys of camping with my grandchildren.  Alas that was not meant to be.  So I live vicariously enjoying other people’s children.

As soon as the sun sets the chill of autumn is apparent.  After finishing my dinner I packed up, bear proofing the camp site and got into my cozy snug car camper bed. 

Too bad I forgot to bring a lighter…it would have been fun to light a sparkler tonight.  I have to remember to do that when I get home.

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2014 - 09 - 26 



No comments:

Post a Comment