Thursday, February 19, 2015

2014 – 09 – 08 and 09: Day 48-49 - Road Trip Across the USA - Route 6 east and heading north toward home

From Willoughby Ohio to To Corry Pennsylvania
Distance  traveled  125 miles


Near Chardon Ohio
My morning drive was through some more farmlands, but the rolling hills and the many stands of trees were a clear change from the plains of the previous days.   I also started to see the first signs of the coloured foliage of fall. 

Hartsgrove Ohio 







The towns also started to have a more eastern feeling to them as well.








Typical view during this part of my drive was the rolling hills and wood lots interspersed with farm crops and farmsteads. 

View of the Grand River near Rome Ohio 



Near Rome there was a scenic stop at a canoe launch point on the Grand River. 









The golden colours of ragweed are another reminder of impending fall.





View of Lake Roaming Rock 


Crossing the bridge at the south end of Lake Roaming Rock offered a brief view toward a scenic recreation spot near New Lyme.
Park in Andover Ohio 
 




Towns like Andover have that forgotten by time charm. 





Shortly after crossing in Pennsylvania I came across   Pymatuning State Park.  It was lovely to stop for a lunch break by the side of the lake.

I love the purple and yellow contrasting colours of the fall wild flowers by the waterfront. 





Abandoned barn near Linesville



Numerous barns in various stages of disintegration made for some pretty scenic stops along the road.  There were several detours for construction along this stretch of road but they were all clearly marked. 

Conneaut Lake 





Conneaut Lake, a kettle lake formed during the last ice age, was the central feature in the town of Conneaut Lake. 

There were several interesting plaques about the history of the town in the waterfront park.  They told stories about the Ice House where ice was stored during the winter harvest and the railroad service into town to facilitate the transportation of the ice to nearby towns for consumption during the summer.  This business flourished until the introduction of refrigeration in the 1920's. 

Bridge near Saegertwon 
North from the town of Meadville Pennsylvania, route 6 follows the meandering French River. 

Bridge near Venango 








Several truss bridges along this stretch of road look so similar to each other that I can imagine that they were constructed during the same time period and possibly even by the same crew. 

In Cambridge Springs, the vintage railway station offered a scenic change of pace. 






Nearing Union Pennsylvania the rolling hills reminded me that I am getting close to the Allegheny Mountains. 

On the outskirts of Corry, I started to see dairy farms. 

In Corry I stopped for a rest and coffee break and had the debate, to continue of for two more weeks or to head home. 


Part 2 headed home
Corry PA to Buffalo NY
Distance traveled  107 miles 

I decided to head for home.  It was a difficult choice to make because on the one hand I am exhausted from the long daily drive and on the other hand there is still so much to see.

Tipping factor was that this trip I had decided to travel more “free style” without in detail pre-planning.  While being spontaneous offers certain advantages it also has the disadvantage of not being prepared for how long it takes to take in certain sights.  I often found myself running out of time and having to skip a point of interest that I would have taken in if I had planned differently.  I will continue my route 6 east adventure when I have done additional planning.

Sugar Grove Pennsylvania 
So I made my way north via route  957 to Sugar Grove where I took Busti Road through Busti. 






Countryside near Frewsbury 


From there country road 18 took me to route 62 and Frewsbury.  This was a very scenic road and I was enchanted by the rural ambiance. The pretty countryside and pleasant winding roads with almost no traffic made for a very enjoyable drive.


Continuing on 62 north into Buffalo. The sun was setting as I made my way toward Buffalo and by the time I pulled into the parking lot and the gorgeous full moon was just rising above the building rooftops.






I found a parking spot in the far back corner of the parking lot and settled in for the night just as full darkness enveloped my camper car.

more pictures for day 48 link

Part 3:  The final stretch home 
2014 – 09 – 09
From Buffalo NY – through Niagara Falls and home
Distance traveled:  163 kilometers 

Island Park, Williamsville NY
I started my day with a short drive to Williamsville, New York, one of my favorite spots for antique shopping and parks. 

Unfortunately the antique shop was closed so I went for a lovely walk on Island Park.  


Glen Falls, Williamsville NY






Then I crossed the street to Glen Park to revisit the waterfalls and the Old Mill.









Niagara Falls NY - Approaching  the falls



Continuing north I stopped in Niagara Falls NY for gas at Sam’s Club before crossing at the Rainbow Bridge into Niagara Falls Canada.  Here I stopped in to visit my dear friend Sylvia and a delightful catch up chat over delicious home made macaroni and cheese!

My final drive for the day was the old familiar road, the QEW back to Toronto. 

more pictures for day 49 

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2014 - 09 - 09

my facebook reflections page


No comments:

Post a Comment