Saturday, February 21, 2015

2014 – 09 – 24: Day one – Fall colours in Muskoka - Cold Water to Six Mile Lake


From Toronto 
To Six Mile Lake Provincial Park, Georgian Bay 
Scenic route driving distance:  200 KM 


The morning of the first day on a new adventure always seems to evaporate in last minute packing and getting ready.  Organizing the car in preparation of camping requires thought and planning.

Once that is taken care of it is time to get on the open road.  I am pleased to say that this trip started with me leaving the driveway by 11:00 am. 

The first part of my trip was along the old Hwy 27 to Barrie.  I have traveled this route many times and it was delightful to see so many familiar hills and crossroad.

View of the Humber River in Kleinburg Ontario 
I found a little country road that I have never been on before and  just took a turn to explore.  I was a very short road to a dead end but there was a delightful old bridge making for a great first photo opportunity of the trip.

I made a quick stop at Costco in Barrie to top up the gas and get a few groceries.  Then I noticed the tourist information centre for the Muskoka region right next door so I stopped in.  I was able to get a really great map of the area and additional information for the Muskoka region.


My first stop was in the town of Coldwater where I bought a late lunch snack, fresh made poutine at a roadside snack stop. 

I walked around enjoying the old town charm. Many of the historic buildings remain well maintained and welcoming inviting tourist business.  The Old Mill, on the Coldwater River is now being used as a restaurant.



The bridges over the Coldwater River are all decorated with flower baskets offering wonderful contrasting colours to the scenery.




I am so thrilled that the weather forecast for today was accurate…warm and sunny, it is such a pleasure to be walking out doors. 

I look forward to each roadside stop opportunity to get out and enjoy the day.  

Heading north on highway 17, also known as Big Chute Road, I stopped to enjoy the character of old barns.






I also had to get out and see this beaver lodge and the fall colours reflecting in the clear waters. 






Severn Falls boat launch 




My next stop was in the cottage area. Being late September, and a week day, it was peaceful and quiet. 











I arrived at Big Chute Marine Railway just in time to see the railway car for boats being brought out of the water for winter storage.





A short hike brought me to the shores of the Severn waterway where I enjoyed the lovely view of the late afternoon sun shimmering on the water.


Continuing on I found another delightful spot to stop at the side of the road to enjoy the beauty of fall colours. 







Swimming area at Six Mile Lake Provincial Park 



By now it was 5 pm and so I decided to head to Six Mile Lake Provincial Park to set up camp for the evening.   

I spent the last part of the daylight hours walking about and enjoying the beauty of the lake.  



I noticed this monarch butterfly feeding on the clover in the fading light of the end of the day.

I passed some time enjoying some knitting and some Sudoku, before cooking my dinner and last rays of the setting sun brought a chill to the air. 

My final task of the day was carefully packing up all food items for the night.  It always pays to pay attention to details when in bear country.

Snug in my car bed I spent some time on the computer working on notes and pictures of the past day.  The shorter days are already noticeable, I even have some reading reading time before lights out!

Renate Dundys Marrello
2014 – 09 – 24

No comments:

Post a Comment