Sunday, October 26, 2014

2014 – 08 – 28: Day 37 – Road Trip Across the USA - route 6 east - from hot spring to hot spring

From Glenwood Springs Colorado
To Idaho Springs, Colorado
Distance traveled:  125 miles

I woke up to more rain, so I enjoyed coffee and bagel in my room while I worked on picture editing and uploading.  One problem with taking lots of pictures is there is lots of editing and tagging to do and then it takes time to upload.

It rained all night and everything is wet.  Mel called on skype and said that it should clear up by tomorrow.  Well that means more rain for me to enjoy today. 

Doc Holliday Died Here November 8, 1887 
I left the motel room at 11 AM and it seemed that the wettest part was over.   There was just a fine spitting rain as I walked about exploring the historic part of Glenwood Springs.  I saw the place where Doc Holiday died as well as taking a look at the hot spring fed pool.  


Flooded road in Glenwood Springs 

Some of the roads were flooded from all the rain!












Driving on Highway 6 has once again been lost to I- 20 however this next section was amazing. 

I-20 along the canyon 
The technology that they used to build the interstate into the canyon without destroying the beauty of the canyon.  A real marvelous engineer feat!!  This stretch of the road features a few remaining bits of Route 6 that are the pull offs for the rest area stops.

Another view of I-20 along the canyon 


I stopped at one of these rest areas for lunch.  I enjoyed sitting beside the river watching the water rushing past.   There was a short trail with signage about the history of the building of this stretch of the road.  I was very interesting to read how they planned it to disrupt the beauty of the canyon as little as possible….they succeeded!  




This is one of the prettiest stretches of interstate that I have been on and the canyon has been left intact so that none of nature’s beauty was destroy in the making of this highway. 


Grizzly Creek 

The walking trail continued on beside the river to see Grizzly Creek joining the Colorado River.   The clouds opened up for a few moments to let the sun peak through.















My next stop was in Gypsum at Costco for gas and groceries.  Leaving Gypsum I was able to then follow route 6 before it merged once again with I-20 going toward Vail.   The afternoon was a mixture of sunny and rainy patches.

Vail Colorado 
Vail is very different and you can tell right away that it is a “modern” town built around the ski industry, and yet it reflects a very European feeling with the architecture reminiscent of what one sees in Alpine communities in Austria.








On my list of places to see here was the Betty Ford Alpine Garden.  The GPS location was incorrect but I was given clear directions from the gentleman at the security gate of the shopping complex as to how to get to the Ford Park and Gardens. 

Betty Ford Alpine Gardens in Vail 
Just a short drive brought me to the parking lot and the weather was kind to me, it stopped raining and the sun came out!  It was so lovely to stroll in the gardens and enjoy the alpine and perennial blossoms, the beauty of the plants and the artistic design.














The final stretch for the day included massive climbs and incredible descents as I passed through several passes. 

Road side stop for scenic view near Silverthorne 
During that last part of the drive there were several stops along I-20 to see scenic overlooks. 








Georgetown Colorado 
There were also some stops to see historic old towns and railway history. 














 
view from my room at Indian Hot Springs 
It was early evening when I finally arrived in Idaho Springs. After driving through the town I arrived at Indian Hot Springs and got a lovely room in the historic part of the inn.  It is on the second floor and it feels like I have stepped back in time at least 100 years…except there is a TV on the wall and an electric alarm clock by the bedside!


Indian Springs:




After settling in I went down to the hot spring fed pool and just lounged around in the lovely warm water and reminiscing about the last time that I was here with my sister in Sept 2009 when we went on our Yellow stone park adventure.  I enjoyed chatting with some of the people also enjoying the warm waters and it was 1.5 hours later when I was all wrinkled and prune like that I finally made my way back to my room to check my messages and upload one more blog.  My dropping eyelids told me it was time for lights out.

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2014 - 08 - 28 


No comments:

Post a Comment