Sunday, October 12, 2014

2014 – 08 – 27: Day 36 – Road Trip Across the USA - Route 6 east - Along the Colorado River

From Colorado River State Park, Fruita Colorado 
To Glenwood Springs 
Distance traveled:  98 miles

I woke up to rain!  I did some reading while waiting for a dry opportunity to pack up the car.  


a walk along the Colorado River 
The clear patch lasted long enough for me to enjoy a short walk along the Colorado River and take in the view of the muddy brown waters and the mountains on the horizon. 





From Fruita I tried to follow the old section of route 6 through several towns.  You have to read the signs carefully or you end up back on I-70.   


Colorado River in River Bend Park 
It rained off and all morning, and the sky remained gray and overcast.  In Palisades I found “River Bend Park” where I enjoyed some quiet time by the river side until it started pouring once more.  Still in a relaxing frame of mind I did some Sudoku in the car before driving on.

Colorado River State Park - Island Acres 




The old route follows the river closely for a little when and then 6 ends / or becomes I-70.  There is only the one road through this canyon section.  I stopped at the Colorado River State Park – Island Acres section, for a stretch break and then continued on the road through the picturesque canyon.

Yard art in New Castle 


Continuing east I was able to stay on some more bits of old Hwy 6 through Parachute, Rifle and New Castle.   It was raining of and on all afternoon as I made my way to Glenwood Springs. 

Rain while entering Glenwood Springs 





I decided to stay at the Glenwood Inn to get out of the rain.  It is a very quaint a pretty place, and I was soon settled in for some picture editing work.  





The sky cleared up as I ate my dinner and showed a glimpse of the sun.  Then the thick and dark clouds came back with a promise of more rain. 

I had hopes of rafting on the river tomorrow, but with this weather it does not make it look promising. 

Renate Dundys Marrello

No comments:

Post a Comment