Monday, August 24, 2015

2015 - 07 - 06: Day 22 Scenic Destinations - hills and valleys


From Sheridan Wyoming
To Buffalo Wyoming – Indian Camp Ground
Distance Traveled: 37 miles

I awoke to rain and grey skies, so I made my way to the nearby McDonald’s, ordered breakfast and settled in for some computer work and catching up on my correspondence.

As the day progressed the skies cleared and there were patches of sunshine as I headed on the road.  Today’s drive is a short one as I had planned a rest day into my travel itinerary. 


historic Sheridan WY


I enjoyed the sights of historic Sheridan.







view from hwy 87 south of Sheridan WY

Today I followed highway 87 south to avoid the interstate. There is such pretty scenery here, rolling green hills with grey hints of mountains in the
distance. 










Roadside stop along Hwy 87 - view to the waterfall 


At a roadside rest area I had a marvelous view to the mountains far off in the west and a waterfall a short distance down into the valley.  







Visitor Information Buffalo WY




I arrived in Buffalo Wyoming in the late afternoon.  My first stop was finding the tourist information centre.  This was actually quite a challenge as the signage is almost obscured by trees and awnings.   


Here I got maps for the scenic drives I have on my list of things to do in this area.  I also got information about a camp grounds located right in the town. 






Then I enjoyed a walk about in the historic district and reminisced about the last time I visited here with my sister in 2009.

The Occidental Hotel remains unchanged.










Then it was time to find a camp site.  The first one I visited was the one I had scouted out on the internet and what attracted me to it was that you could see the mountains. However when I got there I discovered camp sites that were really barren, not a single tree in sight.  

Then I went to the one they recommended at the information centre and discovered a little gem.  What a beautiful facility!  Lots of trees for shade, clean restroom facilities, water and electricity on each site and even wifi service!   I decided to sign up for a for two night stay and enjoy a "day off".  I set up the tent on the lovely green grass lawn and settled in for a comfortable relaxing evening.

For the first time in ages I got to use my cooking gear and made myself a hot dinner. Yes even soup from a can is delicious when all you have had for a week is sandwiches and raw vegetables.   I truly enjoyed the opportunity to heat water, to make a cup of herbal tea. 

I spent the first part of the evening relaxing with some reading and doing Sudoku puzzles while watching the sun set behind the trees.  Then during the twilight, (better screen resolution with fewer reflections), I spent some computer time editing more photos.  I always end up way behind by the time an adventure ends, but every little bit I get done on the road is a bonus.

Renate Dundys Marrello 


link to the complete Photo Album


map of today's route

Your feedback and comments are welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment