Wednesday, August 19, 2015

2015 - 07 - 05: Day 21 Scenic Destinations - Pilgrimage to Medicine Wheel


From Horseshoe Bend camp ground in Big Horn Canyon National Park
To Sheridan Wyoming
Distance Traveled: 108 miles  
(about half of that in fog so dense I had to go 20mph or slower)

The wind woke me up, it was  blowing so hard I felt the car shaking.   I got out in the darkness before dawn,  scattered stars were twinkling overhead in the small patches of clear sky.  I tied down my mosquito tent even tighter, then crawled back inside to sleep a bit more.


As dawn approached, revealing shades of blue, grey and mauve.  I lay there wondering how to take down the tent impeded by the wild wind.  

Finally I decided to tackle the project trying to keep things more or less under control.  A neighbouring camper woman helped me and that was so appreciated.  I sort of just bundled up the nylon and net and put it away.  Nowhere near my usual systematic folding. 

After some “cooked pears” for breakfast I headed back on the road. My first destination was the getting to highway 14A to cross Big Horn Lake and go up into the mountains. 

The low lying causeway over the Big Horn Lake (created by Yellowtail Dam located near Fort Smith, Montana, built in 1965), was absolutely amazing to drive across!  
No less spectacular now that I drove across it for the second time.  Today the waves were quite choppy due to the winds and I can well imagine the waves flowing over the road in really rough weather.  I was the only car on the road for miles and miles and miles. 

The steep climb up into the Big Horn Mountains is breathtaking. 
Sometimes the road passing between sheer cliffs and at other times dropping off steeply into stunning views to the valley below.





It passes through open ranges and I even encountered cattle on the road.




Today as I drove higher and higher up the mountain slopes I noticed a dramatic temperature drop.  When I stopped for the scenic overlook into Big Horn Valley it was only 12C!


The last short stretch of my drive to the Medicine Wheel was accompanied with a growing fog cover. The parking lot is at elevation 9668 feet. 
By the time I got to the information station visibility was less than 20 feet.  I changed clothes for the cooler temperatures and settled in to wait hoping that the warming sun would cut through some of the fog. I was in luck – by noon visibility opened up after getting my rain gear out I started out for 

my trek up the mountain to the Medicine Wheel.  There was a spitting mist in the air.  Is it rain, or just the fog dripping as it dissipates?  The clouds reached down to touch the top of the mountain and wisps of fog clung to the trees in the distance. 


I found my returning visit to the Medicine Wheel just as spiritual an experience as the first time around.  Maybe even more so because I had prepared prayers for the 6 directions and the power of communicating with nature and primal forces was deeply moving. 

I attached my ribbons to the 4 compass directions and in this manner left my mark here at the wheel. 

It would be an understatement to say that the experience was an emotional one. 

more information on the Medicine Wheel 

As I walked back down the mountain I contemplated my journey in the past 6 years since my first visit.  From an empty nester, to a woman facing the spiritual growth of self-awareness and pondering my place and purpose as I face the next stage in my life, I have been on quite the journey of transformation.  I wonder where will I be 6 years from now and if there is another visit to the Medicine Wheel in my future to ponder once again the changes and transformations.

As I got back into the car the fog descended even more deeply than before.  I had fortunately been given the only opening to visit the wheel. 

Driving down the mountain toward Sheridan was a challenge!  Visibility was less than 20 feet for the longest stretch.  Driving with 4-way flashers, peering intently through the dense fog was exhausting.  I stopped in a scenic turn out – not for the view (which was of thick white mist) but to rest from the tension of hyper-alert driving.

a momentary clear patch 
Rested, I once again continued.  Now occasionally there was a clear patch and these pockets were a relief.  But most of the time it was a matter of slowly picking my way through fog so thick I, who am normally fearless, was faced with concerns.  I just wanted to get down into the valley safely. 

Through the winding hairpin turns there were four of us inching our way along in single file.  Finally we were below the fog line!  Of what a relief to be able to see!

I drove into Sheridan and settled in at McDonald's for dinner and to use internet access to catch up on my messages and emails. 

I found a camping site and settled in for some reading and Sudoku and as the drizzle rain continued through the night I had to keep my windows mostly closed, just a crack for air.  Luckily the temperature was not too warm.  


Renate Dundys Marrello 

Link to the complete photo album 


today's route map 


Your feedback and comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment