Friday, August 26, 2016

2015 – 07 – 20: Scenic Destinations Day 36 - Explorations along the Missouri River


From Carter Lake Iowa 
To Indian Cave State Park Nebraska 
Total Distance Traveled: 91 miles


Council Bluffs McDonald's on hwy 6 and a trip down memory lane
Today I was awake and up at the crack of dawn and still yawning I made my way to revisit the Mc Donald's in Council Bluffs (same one I visited last year), to get caught up on messages and correspondence. 

Plattsmouth - hwy 34 toll bridge over the Missouri River 







Then my day of exploration started with driving south along Hwy 75 for a scenic stop in Plattsmouth.  Here I followed the signs to the toll bridge over the Missouri and a lovely scenic view.  

Convergence of the Platte River and  the Missouri River 



I then followed more signs, down a gravel road to the isolated and remote Lewis and Clark camp site where the Platte River and the Missouri river converge.


There were fields and fields of sunflower plants along this deserted road.



My next stop was in the town of Plattsmouth at the historic log cabin.







Plattsmouth NE



And then to walk the picturesque streets of the town itself.








Then I continued south along Hwy 75 southbound to Nebraska city where I stopped to explore Arbor State Park Historic Site.  



After touring the historic buildings and admiring the landscaping I enjoyed a lunch (cheese sandwich and tomatoes) and reading break. 



Nebraska City 







After driving through the main streets of Nebraska City,


I drove across the Missouri on Hwy  2 first east bound into Iowa and then returning westbound to enjoy the bridge view of the river. 










Returning to the Nebraska side of the river I stopped at the Lewis and Clark visitor center, where I learned that the cottonwood is the tree of Nebraska 

and where there was a panoramic view to the Missouri River from the observation deck.





There was also a short walk to a Native American historic display about the Otoe and Missouria peoples and an example of an earth lodge. There reminded me so much of the historic excavations that I saw on the Orkney Islands. 




Continuing south on 
Hwy 75 I passed through Auburn NE.








Then, turning east onto Hwy 67 toward Nemaha, I saw some really picturesque derelict barns.  




Library in Nemaha NE



In Nemaha there was a lovely example of pioneer construction in the form of a well preserved library. 









A final turn onto 64 E took me past abandoned this homestead to Indian Cave State Park.




This park is set on the Missouri River and is the site of some scenic caves. 

However, sadly the road to the caves was closed due to construction and I was not able to visit them.



I did however get to enjoy exploring St. Deroin, or rather the remains of that old town. 









Next I stopped at a scenic overlook for a view to the Missouri River. 



I was all set up in my camp site by 4 pm and so I had time to do my laundry and have some fun in the water; I went to the water pump with my bathing suit on and the dish bucket and poured and poured buckets of cold water over myself.  Child like fun!  I could not get enough of the pleasure of the cool water on my overheated skin.



With all my chores done, I enjoyed a "chill and relax" evening. My dinner was a simple can of stew while enjoying this amazing view of the sun setting with the crescent moon following close behind. 



It was great to have a campsite with electricity so I could use the fan to cool my sleeping temperature to a more moderate zone with a bit of a breeze. 

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2015 - 07 - 20 

Link to see all of the day's pictures 

Link to my Facebook Reflections Page


Route maps for the day
Map #1 to Lewis and Clark scenic stop near Plattlsmouth 

Map #2 - to Arbor Lodge State Historical Park in Nebraska City 

Map #3 to Lewis and Clark Interpretive center near Nebraska City 

Map #4 - to Indian Cave State Park 

Map #5 - Indian Cave State Park


No comments:

Post a Comment