Tuesday, October 25, 2016

2015 – 07 – 27-19: Scenic Destinations Day 43-45 - One final day in Missouri and then the long drive home

From Round Spring National Park, Eminence MO
To St. Louis MO
Total Distance Traveled:  127 miles

I have decided to shorten my trip by quite a bit.  I am taking out the longer destinations south and building a more direct route home.  Last night I only slept for 2 hours it was that hot.  I woke up tired.  At 7 am when it was still the cool of the morning - I was soaked with sweat just getting dressed.

I am also really missing:  Mel, my shower, my bed as well as the comfort of air conditioning.

Mist rising from the surface of Round Spring
I enjoyed the short hike to see the Round Spring and to read about the history of the natives in this area. The mist is rising above the water.  I am the only one on the trail; the silence of early morning is all around me.  I only have birds for company this early in the morning.

I selected my route to Powder Mills and headed on the road.

There is reverse condensation on the car windows…the outside gets wet from the coolness of the AC on the windshield.  The air is foggy with moisture.  When I see this I know it is not just in my mind that it is humid and uncomfortable!   No wonder I feel so miserable.

I think this area is gorgeous!  But I will schedule my next visit for the fall when temperatures are cooler!!!!

My first stop was at Powder Mills campground.  Where I strolled along the Current River. 

It was my original intention to do the hike to see the Blue Spring.  But I decided to put that on my "next time" list.

I continued to drove east through Van Buren to Piedmont. This is where I stopped form my breakfast and wifi break.  I contacted my friend Dyan in St. Louis and asked if her invitation to visit was still open.  

A stop at the local gas station to fill up the gas in the car and my destination was basically to drove north on the pretty winding hilly country roads of Missouri.

Elephant Rocks State Park 




Now I was headed in a generally northern direction toward Elephant Rock State Park.  Here I ate my picnic lunch and then...









...I took the very interesting interpretive hike along the Braille Trail to see the granite rock formations that give this park its name.  

It was so hot.  I was sweating profusely; I had sweat dripping down my face and into my ears even.  A was most unpleasant situation and I have to say I don’t like that feeling.

However I persevered and completed the whole trail even though I passed several people that turned around to end their hike sooner. 





The overlook was awesome.








The boulders were gigantic...






...and though I did not see the elephant shape in this pile of rocks...







...I had fun in the maze and I am happy to report that I did not get stuck in the path they called "the fat man's squeeze".














Stopping for another wifi break I discovered the good news!  I was delighted to get a confirmation from Dyan, to not only join her for dinner but to stay the night.  I now knew where my destination for the day would lead me.

I set my GPS route for St Louis and a visit with Dyan and her daughter Maggie.  Then I got back on the road.  

Soon I was leaving that last of the country roads behind as my route now followed I-55 north.  

The closer I got to the city the more congested the road became. I reached the outskirts of St. Louis just as rush hour traffic was at its peak.  Slowly I made my way through the congestion to arrive at my friend's house just past 6 PM.

Dinner with a friend's family in a comfortably cool house with great conversation and sharing of anecdotes was a perfect way to spend the evening. Thank you again Dyan for your wonderful hospitality and the opportunity to not only spend time with you and your daughter but to also meet your father.

What can I say, to sleep in a comfortable bed, in an air conditioned house….I was in heaven.  

Day 44 Scenic Destinations - Making my way home
From St Louis MO
To Fort Wayne IN

Total Distance Traveled: 368 miles

Just a long travel day, I am now doing the last two day of driving to get home.  


Day 45 Scenic Destinations - Making my way home 2
From Fort Wayne IN
To home 
Total Distance Traveled: 390 miles

Today was another long travel day,  I stopped in northern Detroit to visit and have lunch with my friend Phyllis. Then I continued to drive to arrive home at 8 in the evening. 

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2015 - 07 - 29

Link to see all of the day's pictures

Link to my Facebook Reflections Page


Route maps for the day:
Map #1 Round Springs to Powder Mill

Map #2 Powder Mill to Piedmont

Map #3 Piedmont to Elephant Rocks State Park 

Map #4 Elephant Rocks State Park to St. Louis

No comments:

Post a Comment