Tuesday, October 11, 2016

2015 – 07 – 26: Scenic Destinations Day 42 - Springs of Missouri

From Lake of the Ozarks State Park
To  Round Spring National Park, Eminence MO
Total Distance Traveled:  391.8 miles


This morning I woke up tired from sleeping poorly due to the heat.  After breakfast, still in the cool of the morning at 7 AM, taking down my tent and packing up left me (wringing out wet) soaked before even taking a shower.  This humid heat is really getting to me.  Temperature: 34C / 93F before humidex factor.

The most comfortable place is driving in the air conditioned comfort of the car and so I just kept driving only stopping briefly at sights of interest. I ended up doing 2 days worth of sightseeing stops in one day because I just kept driving to the next one. 
Along Hwy U 


I left the Lake of the Ozarks Park to drive along Hwy 42 toward Brumley. 





Crocker MO





Then I headed south on Hwy U toward Crocker. 






Gasconade River as seen from Hwy 17 






From there I followed Hwy 17 south to Waynesville ....


Waynesville MO


...to discover that I had reconnected with route 66 






a section of original route 66 





I was now on an original section of the old route 66, with its familiar pinkish hue and "experimental curbs".




rafters on the Big Piney River 






I drove east to Hwy J and then headed south toward Spring Creek. It was fun watching the rafters on the Big Piney River from a roadside stop.  From there I continued east and south, following first Hwy M and then Hwy 63. 





Brushy Trail Houston 



I stopped in Houston for my lunch break and a short walk about on the Brushy Trail before the heat pushed me back into the comfort of the air conditioned car.


Dawt Mill



Continuing on via Hwy 63 and 60 and 160 I arrived at Dawt Mill Resort, in Dawt. 


inside millworkings sharing space with dining tables 










Here I enjoyed a very pleasant time on a tour to explore the old mill now converted into a restaurant with nearby holiday guest cabins. The manager was very delighted to allow a tourist to view this lovely old property and there wasn't even cover charge! 

North Fork River 
From the outside of the mill there was a beautiful patio and outdoor dining area with a scenic river overlook which was a perfect start to my exploring of the areas mills and springs, described in the Grist Mills drive

Following scenic byways is a beautiful way to explore any state and today was no exception.





Along highways P and H I saw delightful pastoral scenes.





Hodgson Mill 

Along Hwy 181 I stopped at 2 mills and watched crystal clear spring water rushing out of the ground.  At Hodgson Mill there was a spigot to use to fill up on fresh spring water. 

Zanoni Mill 






The Zanoni Mill is now operated as a B&B but the original water wheel is still a distinctive feature on the property. 
You know how most people are pulled over for speeding? Well today I was pulled over for going too slow! Here I am on this virtually deserted road.  I have seen 4 vehicles in the past hour! Who pulls up behind me just as I slow down to see and snap a photo of the old homestead pictured below? A highway patrol officer! Fortunately he was very nice and we had a nice conversation about appreciating the beauty of the landscape before saying our goodbyes and going our separate ways.  He to continue patrolling back roads for speeders and me to see the amazing sights of rural Missouri. 





I saw abandoned as well as lived in homesteads that hearkened back to the last century and where one can almost visualize the pioneer lifestyle.


Rockbridge MO





Hwy N north took me to the delightful tiny town of Rockbridge with its historic buildings that could be the set for little house on the prairie.

The well cared for old mill now houses a delightful bar as well as this deck with view to the river and falls over the dam.

From there I followed Hwy 95 all the way to Longrun where I started the search for the Glade Top Trail.   This was no easy task. I thought for sure there would be road signage to find this trail.  No such luck.  
After several false starts down gravel roads that felt like neglected paths to nowhere, I finally hit upon the right road up to the top of the hills for a scenic drive through this section of Mark Twain National Forest.  

My recommendation is to buy the map offered on the web site link above or at the very least print yourself a detailed google map to find this road, it will save you some grief. The roads are supposedly numbered but signage was poor, I had to use all my navigational and directional skills for this one. 



Once on the trail (917) the signage was much better and the road was in quite good condition.  







Surprisingly I was the only one on this trail. I did not pass or see a single other vehicle during my drive along this scenic trail. 






There were numerous scenic overlook stops with spectacular views. 

I was able to travel the length of the trail (935) as well as several other unnamed roads to the northern end of Mark Twain National Forest and the exit that then connected with Hwy 5 north toward Ava.


campsites with a view 
My original intention was to camp in the National Forest.  It would have been perfect as the campground was empty. I am sure the heat has kept other campers away also.  I debated stopping for the night versus driving a few more hours in relative interior of the car coolness.  If there had only been a little breeze I might have been tempted.  Instead the coolness won this debate.  

I still had plenty of daylight as I headed through Ava to Mansfield.  







I was hoping to visit the Laura Ingol house and Museum, but it was locked up; with a gate and no entry after closing hours, not even to see the buildings from the outside.

I sat for a while debating my next move.  My original plans had included a 2 day trip south to Arkansas.  However the heat made me decide to postpone that part of the exploration for a spring or autumn trip. While I love camping; camping in extreme heat is no pleasure; and after 40 days on the road pleasure had moved up several notches on the comfort meter.  

Heading east on Hwy 60 I stopped in Mountain Grove at a Mc Donald's for a driving break with dinner and wifi.

At 7 PM it was still 32 C  / 90 F  and humid.

I continued east
 to Eminence hoping that by the time I get there in the late evening it will be a bit cooler.

This time I just set the GPS and followed where the lady in the box led.  Hwy 60, then 63 and then 17 through Yukon and Summerville and finally to Eminence.  


The sun set and finally it was just a tiny bit cooler.  I don't usually drive in the dark. After all my adventures are about what I get to see.  So today was an exception and I reached Round Spring campgrounds in the dark after half an hour of driving winding roads with only my headlights for illumination.

Tired from a combination of heat, a long drive and the exhilaration and excitement of exploring, I quickly settled in for some rest and some sleep. 

My family may see me sooner than expected as the heat is really getting to me I think that tomorrow will be the last official day of my adventure as I plug in a route to cross off several sights on my list and call a friend in St Louis to arrange a visit. 

Renate Dundys Marrello 
2015 - 07 - 26

Link to see all of the day's pictures

Link to my Facebook Reflections Page



Route maps for the day:


Lake of the Ozarks State Park to Waynesville
Crocker to Sprinville

Sprinville to Houston


Houston to Dawt 

Dawt to Hodgson Mill to Zanoni Mill
Zanoni Mill to Rockbridge to Wasola 
Wasola to Longrun and onto the Glade Top Trail 





No comments:

Post a Comment