Saturday, June 20, 2015

2015 - 06 - 16: Day 2 Scenic Destinations Across the USA

Day 2 
From Flint Michigan 
To Headlands Park Mackinaw City Michigan 
Distance Traveled: 246 miles 

I awoke to blue skies finally! 


Train Station in Mont Rose 
Then I headed on the road.  I put Ithaca into the GPS to be able to get off of the Interstate for a while. This route along M-57 passed through some lovely scenic towns.  

I enjoyed the train station in Mont Rose and the river front park in Chesaning.




River in Chesaning
Tower of the Fire Hall 

In Ithaca I walked about enjoying the architecture from the 1800’s.

In Mount Pleasant I stopped at the next Sam’s Club!  Guess what!?  Another one with no gas pumps. 







Flowers at a roadside rest  area 





Continuing north I stopped at a rest stop for a lunch and reading break.  











A scenic rest stop 




Then at the next one I stopped for a lie down break as my eyes were sore from the glare of the afternoon sun.   





Hike to scenic view 




At the next one I stopped because I wanted a stretch break and was fortunate as it had a lovely trail to a scenic overlook.




Light though the leaves 

Last bit of a drive brought me to the Headlands Dark Sky Park where I drove around to get the lay of the land.  It is open at all hours to facilitate star gazing so I think I will settle there for the night. 

View from the public beach 
Next I stopped at the public beach on Lake Michigan where I relaxed, did some drawing and some reading. The clear blue sky got more and more overcast as I watched the sun going down.  


View from my beach blanket 




The damp of the beach sand soaked though my beach blanket and left me a bit damp so as the sun went lower and the air got chiller I headed by to The Headlands.
Once settled in I took a walk about to check the sky / cloud conditions.  They are so thick even the final sunset was hidden from view, no vibrant colours just a dimming and fading of daylight.   

The mosquitoes are fierce and so I got into the car and watched the sky get cloudier and cloudier!  

Several others came to gaze at the stars but left disappointed with no view!   Since I was “camping”, I stayed just in case the sky cleared…but it never did.

While waiting I edited pictures until my battery ran low. Then I did some reading and finally as things got quiet it was time for sleep. 



Renate Dundys Marrello 
2015 - 06 - 16 

see more pictures 

No comments:

Post a Comment